I help build researcher community and positive research cultures.
My work with The Research Whisperer and experience as part of the La Trobe’s RED team means I’m regularly invited by other organisations to give talks, masterclasses, and workshops on a range of topics. You can see where my presentations have been and what they were about at the Research Whisperer’s RW Live page.
I give talks and workshops regularly for La Trobe University researchers, and am happy to tailor sessions for particular La Trobe groups – please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The topic areas I present on and can be consulted about include:
RESEARCH COMMUNICATION and SOCIAL MEDIA
- Creating an effective digital research identity
- Blogging your research
- Building your reputation on social media
- Creating online researcher bios
- Creating a researcher’s communication strategy
- Tweeting up (livechats/livetweeting)
EARLY CAREER RESEARCHER (ECR)
- Thinking about careers beyond academia
- Academic networking
- Online networking for researchers
- What ECRs want to know / What ECRs need to know
- How to plan ECR development intensives (for research educators/developers)
FUNDING and GRANTS
- 5 rules of grant club (basic grantseeking skills)
OTHER RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT TOPICS
- Ways to build research culture
- The basics of publishing in journals
- Planning themed research development events (for research educators/developers)
My work has most relevance for Early Career Researchers (ECRs), higher degree by research students, and those who support them. You can see a set of commonly requested workshops from Jonathan and I (as the Research Whisperers), OUTLINED HERE.
I am happy to be contacted about other possible presentations and workshops, and appreciate about six months notice. I usually charge a fee (in addition to travel expenses); this can be flexible. Contact me if you have something in mind: email@example.com.
I have worked with the following organisations as a facilitator or invited speaker:
Australian Academy of the Humanities ♦ Australian Association of Gerontology/Emerging Researchers in Ageing ♦ Australian Entomological Society ♦ Australian National University ♦ Australasian Research Management Society (ARMS) ♦ Charles Sturt University ♦ Council of Academic Public Health Institutions Australasia (CAPHIA) ♦ Council of the Humanities and Social Sciences (CHASS) ♦ Deakin University ♦ #DocFest 2021 (Charles Sturt University) ♦ Edith Cowan University ♦ Monash University ♦ Mont Royal University, Canada ♦ National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) ♦ Okinawan Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) ♦ #ResBaz (UniMelb) ♦ RMIT University ♦ University of Queensland ♦ University of Roehampton, UK ♦ University of Southern Queensland ♦ University of Sydney